The association was established in 2022 when a small group of members of the LGBT community expressed concern about the lack of access to sexual health services, especially in the south of Gran Canaria.
ABSICAN is registered in the Provincial Registry of Associations under number G1/S1/26183-22/GC.
The main objectives of the association are:
- The promotion of sexual health.
- Promote easy access to sexual health care and testing services.
- Seek funding for the main objectives.
- Execution of any purpose not expressly declared but that exists to support the above.
Tasks and Activities
To fulfil its purposes, the Association will organize the following activities:
- Carry out sexual health promotion and prevention campaigns, as well as outreach activities focused on high-risk groups, specifically MSM.
- Observe the latest trends and recommendations in sexual health care and use them to best effect.
- Promote the best sexual health practices for the population and the medical profession.
- Promote easy access to sexual health care and testing services through the use of existing government, commercial and NGO facilities and develop approved services to be provided directly by the Association.
- Work together with existing governmental and non-governmental organizations and projects, sharing the same objectives, and within the geographical limits of the Association. Such support includes, but is not limited to:
- Collaborative projects
- Direct financial support
- Exchange of ideas and information
- Referral of cases to more specialized entities, when appropriate
- Collaboration with entities that share the same objectives throughout Spain, Europe and the rest of the world.
- Seek funds for the main objectives through all routes, including:
- International and European agencies
- National, Regional and Local Government
- Industrial and pharmaceutical companies and their associated social funds
- Philanthropic Social Funds
- Corporate sponsorship within the geographical limits of the Association
- Execution of any task not expressly stated but that exists to support the above objectives.
The benefits eventually obtained by the development of these activities, will be used to carry out others of the same nature, in accordance with the association’s social ends.